Job Type: Part-time: 20 hours/week
Pay: $16.50 an hour
Schedule: Monday – Friday 10am – 2pm
Provisional Appointment: The hired individual must take the position’s Civil Service exam when it is offered, pass and be reachable. All positions are subject to Civil Service regulations.
To apply: You must submit a resume; letter of interest, and complete the Application for Examination or Employment found at – https://www.oswegony.org/work/employment-applications under the link labeled: Application for Full-Time Employment(PDF Fillable).
Apply through indeed, via mail or in person at:
Oswego Public Library
120 East Second Street
Oswego, NY 13126
Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled.
POSITION CLASS TITLE: Administrative Assistant
JURISDICTIONAL CLASS: COMPETITIVE
CIVIL DIVISION: CITY OF OSWEGO
AUTHORIZATION: PERSONNEL DIRECTOR
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position exists in the Oswego Public Library. The work involves assisting the Library Director with duties affecting the operation of the Library. This position works under the direct supervision of the Library Director.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
– Completes and processes payroll;
– Records deposits and delivers deposits to the bank;
– Collects, reviews, and processes travel reimbursement requests;
– Processes incoming donations and responds to donors;
– Bills patrons with outstanding fees;
– Assists with the annual audits;
– Maintains ongoing contracts;
– Updates contact directories;
– Maintains personnel files;
– Manages the onboarding paperwork process for new hires;
– Records time off for staff;
– Maintains a monthly staff schedule and schedule changes;
– Calls in substitutes when needed;
– Orders office supplies and tracks office supply needs;
– Delivers paperwork to City Hall;
– Assists with grant applications;
– Participates in meetings as required by the Director;
– Prepares invoices for the library, answers questions regarding invoices and payments;
– Communicates professionally through email and phone;
– Manages projects as assigned by the Director;
– Distributes pay checks;
– Prepares and coordinates press releases and other public information as required;
– Performs other tasks as may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
– Must demonstrate excellent computer proficiency;
– Thoroughly understand, follow and carry out library policies and procedures;
– Complete tasks in a timely fashion;
– Be flexible in job duty procedures and have the ability to tolerate change;
– Have accuracy and meticulous record and file keeping;
– Have tact and courtesy with patrons, staff, businesses and community members;
– Have professional communication skills in writing and speaking.
Education, specialized background, training and experience
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college or university with an Associate Degree or higher in Business Administration, Accounting or related field, and two (2) years or its part time equivalent experience performing moderately difficult clerical tasks.
B) Graduation from high school or possession of a New York State high school equivalency diploma and four (4) years or its part time equivalent experience performing moderately difficult clerical tasks;
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of A and B above.