Full Time Library Clerk
- Oswego Public Library (Oswego NY) seeks candidate for 1 open Library Clerk position.
- Job Type: Full-time: 35 hours/week
- $15.00 an hour
- Schedule: Tuesday – Thursday 11am – 7pm; Friday & Saturday 9am – 5pm
- All positions are subject to Civil Service regulations.
- Provisional Appointment. The hired individual must take the position’s Civil Service Exam when it is offered, pass and be reachable
- Review of candidate will begin August 29th and continue until the position is filled.
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This position exists in a school district or a public library and involves responsibility for performing a variety of technical support tasks under direct supervision. The work consists mainly of assisting patrons or students in getting books, data files and various media such as optical discs and magazines in paper, microfilm or digital format. The work also includes circulating materials with a CCD scanner, shelving books and a limited number of clerical tasks. Supervision of library pages, students or volunteer help may at times be necessary. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Aids patrons or students with locating the most appropriate reference materials which are computerized and networked, as well as in prints;
- Answers patron or student research questions using the computerized databases available;
- Responsible for helping patrons or students with the use of computers;
- Assists librarians with conducting programs and programming preparation;
- Explains and reinforces information seeking strategies as a method of accessing library materials;
- Interprets indexes, abstracts and computer printouts for patrons and students;
- May be responsible for the orderly supervision of the library in the absence of the librarian;
- Offers individualized advice on how to retrieve data from the library system and make the most productive educational use of library materials;
- Registers patrons or students for library services;
- Accepts, sends and fills inter-library loan request using telecommunications;
- Promotes appreciation of literature, reading readiness and literacy by recommending book titles when asked.
- Organizes, shelves and straightens returned books, periodicals and other library materials;
- Aids the librarian in preparing and setting up displays and bulletin boards;
- Answers the telephone professionally and records complete, accurate phone messages;
- Maintains organized and accurate circulation records, reports and orders not requiring the services of a skilled typist;
- Sorts the mail according to business catalogs, periodicals and librarian’s professional correspondence;
- Distributes incoming and outgoing interoffice mail;
- Maintains paper supplies for library forms, student passes, printers and photocopy machines.
TECHNICAL SERVICES/DATABASE MAINTENANCE
- Opens and closes library equipment by booting up computers, logging on to the network and logging off the system;
- Runs overdue notices on networked library system and routes to correct printer;
- May enter data into library catalog using FTP, telecommunications, and scanned images;
- Maintains library records using current library system software including database, spreadsheet and integrated applications software;
- May operate integrated copy/fax/scanner machine;
- Processes periodicals via acquisition software;
- Processes new books under the supervision of the librarian using Library of Congress MARC standard format;
- Takes inventory with a hand-held scanning device.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Summary of full performance level characteristics.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent computer proficiency;
- Provide excellent customer service and be adept at working with a wide variety of diverse people with a variety of skill levels;
- Establish satisfactory relationships with adults and children using the library;
- Have the ability to understand, follow and carry out library policies and procedures;
- Have the ability to shelve books and other materials using standard library systems such as Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress call numbers;
- Complete tasks in a timely fashion;
- Be flexible in job duty procedures and have the ability to tolerate change;
- Have accuracy and meticulous record keeping;
- Have tact and courtesy with patrons and staff;
- Have excellent spelling and alphabetizing skills;
- Have professional communication skills in writing and speaking.
Education, specialized background, training and experience.
Graduation from high school or possession of a New York State high school equivalency diploma AND six (6) months full time or its part time equivalent paid experience or verifiable volunteer experience in a library media setting or six (6) months full time or its part time equivalent clerical experience.
An equivalent combination of experience as defined above.
Apply online through Indeed or send application, resume with references and letter of interest stating why you would like to work at the library to:
Oswego Public Library
120 East Second Street
Oswego, NY 13126